Friday, November 28, 2008

PAPER FANS




Gathered late,


the gingkos fell


all gold.


Paper fans


lie soft and quiet


amid approaching


winter grass.




I sigh and bend


to retrieve a first bouquet


from this young tree-


an autumn offering


held and pressed


to my curved lips,


to feel with all my senses


the cool


of a changing season-


a silent kiss


to God.






Claudia Lowery


November 28, 2008




Two years ago I first became aware of the gingko leaf shape, form, and color during a season of intense personal creativity. After planting a slender gingko tree and holding my breath through the first winter, I rejoiced at the first spring buds knowing it had rooted well. Now I watched its first autumn and the turning of the lime green leaves into a deep gold. About 40 leaves graced my young tree and when they finally let go of their security and fell to the earth I gathered them in the quiet and cool afternoon. The gingko is a powerful symbol of creativity for me. This poem is the result of that moment.

No comments: